Our Rules and How to Submit
We are now open for submissions and will close at the end of Sunday 29 September.
- Submissions will be considered from writers who were born in Gloucestershire or South Gloucestershire, or who currently live, or work, or study, or are a member of a writers' group in either county.
- There is no charge for submissions.
- Stories may be previously published or unpublished. We really don't mind.
- A maximum of two stories per author may be submitted.
- Authors must be 16 or over at the time of the event.
- Sorry, no poetry, non-fiction and children's fiction will be accepted.
- Stories must be between 500 and 1,500 words (excluding the title).
- Submissions must be received by 23.59 on Sunday 29 September.
- Stories can only be submitted by email and only to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Writers must be available to read at the SSS event on the evening of Sunday 10 November at the Cotswold Playhouse, Parliament Street, Stroud, GL5 1LW. Please do not submit your work unless you can be there.
- Writers chosen to read may not submit to two consecutive SSS events.
- Although submissions are judged 'blind', no relatives/family members of the SSS organiser, administrator or judges may submit.
- The decision of the judges is final and no correspondence will be entered into. We're sorry but because of the number of submissions we receive we are not able to provide feedback on individual stories.
- By submitting a story or stories to SSS, if successful, you agree to our use of images and/or recordings of you from the event on the SSS website, Twitter, YouTube etc.
- Please read How to Submit (below) before submitting. Obvious, I know - you'd be amazed...
How to Submit Your Stories -
- Please read the Rules above before submitting.
- Email your stories to email@example.com
- Attach your story in WORD doc or docx format, and not in pdf or other formats please.
- Please do NOT include any details about yourself on your story. Include only the title of your story and the word count on your story attachment. (It's fine to attach two stories to one email).
- In your covering email please include 1.your name, 2.your email address, 3.your phone number, 4.the title of your story or stories (for cross referencing), and 5.the name of your village, town or city, or your connection with Gloucestershire/South Gloucestershire if it is other than where you live (see Rule 1 above).
- The closing date for submissions is Sunday 29 September at one minute to midnight (23.59).
- When you have submitted your story (or stories), please subscribe to SSS newsletters here, and tick the 'Author' option. We can then let you know whether your story makes the Long List, the Short List or the Final Ten. (It's easy to unsubscribe).
- When you have subscribed, you will be informed by email no later than Thursday 10 October of the ten stories selected.
- The receipt of your submissions will be acknowledged electronically. If there is a problem we will email you.